Conservative activists in Novosibirsk require the activities of the NGO “Humanitarian Project” to be restricted.
Conservative organizations published an open letter to local authorities in the Internet calling for “special control over the implementation of the NGO “Humanitarian Project” activities on the territory of the Novosibirsk region and” taking measures to protect children and adolescents from information harmful to their physical, mental and moral health”. The letter was signed by the representatives of the Coordination Council for the protection of public morality, culture and traditional family values, as well as members of the All-Russian Parent Assembly and the movement “In Defense of Childhood.”
All requirements of organizations can be grouped into 7 points:
1. Impose special control over the issue of implementation of the NGO “Humanitarian Project” activities in the territory of the Novosibirsk region and take measures to protect children and adolescents from information that is harmful to their physical, mental and moral health.
2. Inform us, which state structures of Novosibirsk and Novosibirsk region cooperate with the NGO “Humanitarian Project”, provide administrative and other support.
3. Familiarize with the text of this appeal the heads of the state budgetary institutions of the region, working in the area of education and upbringing of children and adolescents, as well as heads of health care institutions.
4. Suspend the activities of the NGO “Humanitarian Project” in the territory of the Novosibirsk region until the parent community is thoroughly familiarized with the practice and outcomes of the organization’s activities in Novosibirsk and the Novosibirsk region in all previous years.
5. Facilitate the detailed familiarization of the parental community with the content of the project “Capacity Building of Non-profit Organizations Working with the Family and the Community in Programs for Preserving Health and Preventing Socially Dangerous Diseases” and the practice of its implementation in Novosibirsk, Novosibirsk region and other regions.
6. Provide copies of the manuals, brochures and other handouts of the NGO “Humanitarian Project” for the examination of their psychological, information and ethical safety.
7. Inform us about the measures taken and plans for cooperation between the state structures of Novosibirsk and the Novosibirsk region with the NGO “Humanitarian Project”.
We ask you to provide responses to the following questions: Do decision-makers in Novosibirsk and the Novosibirsk region are aware of the experience and outcomes of the NGO “Humanitarian Project” in Novosibirsk, the Novosibirsk region and other regions? On what grounds the Novosibirsk city public organization promotes its programs in the territory of the Novosibirsk region (Ust-Tarka in 2017, Bolotnoye); Which orphanages and shelters are involved in the projects of the NGO “Humanitarian Project”.
One of the signatories, co-chairman of the Novosibirsk branch of the “In Defense of Childhood” movement Natalia Shchetilova, declared herself as a HIV-dissident, other public figures are known for their actions against rock concerts and performances. The authors of the letter believe that family programs of the “Humanitarian Project”, aimed to prevent drug addiction, STIs and HIV, actually corrupt children and promote non-traditional sexual practices, early sex and drugs among them.
The “Humanitarian Project” is the only public organization in Novosibirsk that has been operating for 15 years on HIV prevention in the city and the region, working with the support of not only regional but also federal authorities. In 2017 the organization won the Presidential Grants Contest with the project “Capacity Building of Non-profit Organizations Working with the Family and the Community in Programs for Preserving Health and Preventing Socially Dangerous Diseases” in the amount of 7.4 million rubles.
The Novosibirsk region has one of the highest HUV incidence and prevalence rates in Russia, the chairman of the “Humanitarian Project” Denis Kamaldinov, a member of the Expert Council on countering the spread of HIV among MSM/LGBT people in Russia, said Taiga.info in response to the activists’ claims.
“Every day we have 10 new cases of HIV, 87 people are dying every month because of HIV. “Humanitarian project” is actually the only public center for HIV prevention in the Novosibirsk region”, the interviewee said. – Of course, we work with all key populations affected by HIV infection (people living with HIV, injecting drug users, men who have sex with men, sex workers) and with the general population, youth, we are encouraged to do so and supported by the Ministry of Health of Russia and the Novosibirsk region health department. Those who require us to close, will help the epidemic advance and deplete the state budget, because more and more people are getting infected and more and more people are dying due to HIV and TB without knowing their status”.
In his opinion, it is very illustrative that among those who opposes prevention, there are prominent representatives of HIV dissidents and anti-vaccination movement. In this regard, it is important that the Ministry of Health of Russia initiated a bill to restrict their activities in the country.
“I would like to tell all Novosibirsk citizens: HIV exists; it is a reality. Take care of yourself!”- called the head of the “Humanitarian Project”.